'Bad news for abangers': Zaldy Co no longer in Czech Republic custody, DOJ chief says
(Photo: Rep. Zaldy Co Facebook page)
Former congressman Elizalde “Zaldy” Co is no longer in the hands of Czech Republic authorities, Department of Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida said.
The bad news was announced by Vida himself in a press briefing in Prague shortly after his team confirmed that Co was allowed to go after his reported arrest on April 16, the incident was shared by President Marcos himself.
But the supposed Philippine delegation tasked to bring Co announced the bad news and appeared to be heading back empty-handed.
“Czech authorities have informed us that Mr. Zaldy Co is no longer in their custody,” said Vida in a press briefing.
While efforts were made to bring back a key player in the multi-billion flood control mess, all the best actions made by the Philippine government were not enough to send him back home to face the charges leveled against him.
Vida explained that the Philippine government did its best within the realm of legal framework and international cooperation to send Co home.
“From the moment we received information on his whereabouts, the Philippine government moved as quickly as we could. We coordinated with the international authorities and the President dispatched a mission to Prague,” said Vida.
The problem, however, is that the Philippine government is working across sovereign borders and with countries with their own set of laws and rules and regulations.
“And we cannot compel a foreign government to go outside its legal framework. What we can do is to be within that legal framework aggressively as the laws allow,” said Vida.
So far, the information that they have, according to Vida, is that Co is still within Europe.
During the press conference, Vida defended the President on his announcement of Co's arrest.
“That was the facts available, that he was here in the Czech Republic,” said Vida.