ILIGAN CITY – The military on Sunday confirmed that five members of the Dawlah Islamiyah-Maute Group neutralized during a law enforcement operation in Marantao, Lanao del Sur on April 17 were responsible for the deaths of four government troops in an ambush in Munai, Lanao del Norte last Jan. 26.
Forensic investigation of recovered materials, including a video retrieved from the cellular phone of a neutralized female Maute Group member during the April 17 operation, showed compelling visual evidence directly linking them to the ambush in Barangay Lininding, the 1st Infantry Division said.
Major Gen. Yegor Rey P. Barroquillo Jr., commander of the 1st Infantry Division, said Sunday that the video clearly identifies the participation of neutralized armed elements, strengthened intelligence reports, and corroborated previously gathered evidence.
Additional war materiel recovered at the site further substantiated their involvement and operational roles, the military officer said.
Barroquillo assured families of fallen soldiers that justice has been served.
“This was a legitimate operation, fully compliant with rules of engagement. The Philippine Army remains steadfast in its mandate to relentlessly pursue and decisively neutralize enemies of the State, ensuring all actions are directed strictly against lawful targets. The video recovered from the female Maute member further reinforces that justice has been duly served for our fallen comrades," said Barroquillo.