Prosecutors recommend filing in court of large-scale illegal recruitment, estafa cases vs 2 foreigners
Department of Justice (DOJ) prosecutors have recommended the filing in court of non-bailable large-scale illegal recruitment and estafa cases against two foreigners.
The resolution to file the charges against London-based Italian national Adel En Nouri and Mohammed En Nouri was recommended by Prosecution Attorney Nico Allen Brual and approved by Tanauan City Prosecutor Agnes Farida Bagaforo-Arellano II.
In a 10-page resolution issued last April 16, the prosecutors granted the motion for reconsideration filed by complainants Maria Anne L. Castro and Brian A. De Chavez to include En Nouri and Mohammed in the charges.
Earlier, the prosecutors had recommended the filing of large-scale illegal recruitment and two counts of estafa against En Nouri and Mohammed’s Filipino co-respondents Lorraine Paula Saliva, Myrna Paterno, Cedrick Saliva and Greg Villegas Meer.
En Nouri and Mohammed had earlier been dropped from the charges on a motion to withdraw filed by the complainants.
However, the complainants decided to file a motion for reconsideration to include En Nouri and Mohammed after consulting a lawyer.
They told the prosecutors that at the time of the filing of their motion to withdraw, they lacked full understanding of its legal consequences and only realized its effect after consulting a lawyer.
Acting on the motion, the prosecutors directed En Nouri and Mohammed to file their comment but they failed to do so.
After reevaluating the evidence submitted by the complainants, the prosecutors decided to recommend the filing of the criminal charges against En Nouri and Mohammed.
The prosecutors ruled that En Nouri and Mohammed conspired with the other respondents in luring the complainants into their illegal recruitment scheme.
Based on the complaint, the respondents represented themselves as the persons behind Tamber International Placement Agency, a firm not licensed by the Department of Migrant workers (DMW) to recruit workers for overseas employment.
“Taken together, the respondents’ acts encompass recruitment activities which include, but not limited to, promising or advertising for employment abroad,” the resolution stated.
It also stated: “In this case, respondents Adel En Nouri and Mohammed En Nouri’s participation is clear. They acted as the supposed employer which effectively lured the complainants into their scheme.”
On estafa, the prosecutors said the complainants were persuaded to pay the amount of P80,000 each or for the total of P160,000 through their false representation.
“Were it not for the deliberate misrepresentation of respondents to complainants, the latter would not have been induced to part with their money to respondents. Thus, the concerned respondents should be indicted for estafa…,” the prosecutors also said.
Last March 4, the Bacoor City regional trial court (RTC) issued a warrant of arrest against Adel En Nouri and several other accused who were charged with a non-bailable qualified human trafficking under Section 4 (a) in relation to Section 6 (c) of Republic Act No. 9208 as amended by RA 10364, the Expanded Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2021.
Also, last April 10, the Bacoor City RTC ordered the arrest of Adel En Nouri and his co-accused on charges of serious illegal detention and large-scale illegal recruitment in the cases also filed by the DOJ.
Last April 13, some of the complainants have asked the Philippine National Police’s (PNP) Criminal Investigation and Detention Group (CIDG) to help them in the issuance of a red notice by the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) against Adel En Nouri.
An Interpol red notice is a request to law enforcement agencies worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition, surrender, or similar legal action.
It was not known as of posting time if the CIDG had acted on the request.