'Palaban na!': Romualdez says he will 'not go quietly' if political demolition job persists
At A Glance
- Like a man backed into a corner, former House Speaker Leyte 1st district Rep. Martin Romualdez vowed to "fully defend himself" from allegations of involvement in the flood control projects mess, which according to him was being turned into a "political demolition job".
Former House Speaker Leyte 1st district Rep. Martin Romualdez (Rep. Romualdez's office)
Like a man backed into a corner, former House Speaker Leyte 1st district Rep. Martin Romualdez vowed to "fully defend himself" from allegations of involvement in the flood control projects mess, which according to him was being turned into a "political demolition job".
Romualdez, 62, broke months of silence on the controversy in an 11-minute video message that was sent to House of Representatives on Tuesday night, April 21.
"For months, I chose silence because I believed in our legal system and in the rule of law. But my silence is now being exploited with politically engineered and fabricated narratives, he said.
"What's even more disturbing-and this is something that cannot be ignored-is that there are emerging indications that certain sectors are attempting to weaponize individuals, including Zaldy Co, to construct a narrative that serves their own interests," said the lawyer-solon.
"So, when the legal process is being used against me as a political demolition job, then, I will have no choice but to defend myself. And I will defend myself fully," Romualdez declared.
He further said: "I will not allow myself to be turned into the scapegoat so that others who are actually accountable can walk away clean. If this is a political play to push me out and close the story, tarnishing my name and my reputation, then I am telling everyone now: I will not go quietly, and I will not go alone."
Last April 16, President Marcos announced Co's arrest in Prague, Czech Republic, after allegedly crossing the border without proper documentation. Co, a former House Committee on Appropriations chairman during his time as Ako Bicol Party-list congressman, has been in hinding from Philippine authorities since last year.
He is a key personality in the flood control projects corruption scandal, mainly due to his role appropriations panel chief during the annual budget deliberations.
"I will not be the fall guy for other people's corruption," said Romualdez, president of the Lakas-Christian Muslim Democrats (Lakas-CMD) party.
In his most belligerent remarks yet, the former House leader said: "I have been in public life long enough. I have seen enough. I have heard enough. I know many things: about this current administration and past administrations as well.
"And I say this carefully: if this matter is to be handled as a legal issue, then let it be handled legally, soberly, and according to evidence," he said.
"But if certain people insist on waging this in the court of public opinion, then I wil have no choice but to defend myself publicly as well," stressed Romualdez.
"And to those who think they can throw me under the bus to save themselves, this is what I say to you: I am ready to defend my name. My silence should not be mistaken for weakness, ignorance, or fear.
"I know enough to defend myself. And if I am forced to do so in public, I will," he further said.
In the same video message, Romualdez authorized the public release of his sworn affidavit and supporting documents which he earlier submitted to the Independent Commission on Infrastructure (ICI).
“I have nothing to hide. Let the Filipino people judge the truth based on evidence—not on speculation or politics,” he said.
He emphasized that he has fully cooperated with authorities from the outset, including appearing before investigators and submitting documents voluntarily.