10 DI-Maute fighters killed in eight-hour Lanao del Sur clash, CIDG says
(Photo: Criminal Investigation and Detection Group)
Ten suspected members of the Dawlah Islamiya–Maute Group were killed in a pre-dawn encounter that lasted for eight gruelling hours with government forces in Marantao, Lanao del Sur on Friday, April 17, including two of the group’s top leaders, police said.
Operatives from the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) were serving arrest warrants against Amerol Mangoranca alias “Usman,” identified as the group’s “amir” or leader; and Benjie Amir alias “Muslih/Benjie,” the group’s sub-leader, when the suspects allegedly opened fire, triggering a gunbattle in Barangay Banga Pantar that began around 1:05 a.m. and ended at 9 a.m.
Both Usman and Muslih had standing warrants for murder, homicide and kidnapping, according to CIDG. They were also listed in the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ wanted list for the first quarter of 2026.
“Upon the approach of the operating teams in the hideout of the accused, they were greeted with heavy burst of fires from numerous unlawful aggressors,” a report from the CIDG said.
“The operating teams necessitates to defend themselves. They returned fire to repel the lethal attack of the unlawful aggressors that resulted in armed encounter and unfortunate neutralization ten members,” it added.
Aside from the two leaders, those killed included Jamail Ibrahim alias “Orak”; Fahmi Aminodin alias “Pakmin”; Sohaile Borud Bato alias “Nasif/Muslim”; Mohaimen Aragon alias “Turab”; Nahara Khairiya Hamim alias “Yaqiyna,” wife of DI-MG sub-leader Amir; alias “Polindan,” wife of DI-MG amir Usman; and two unidentified female individuals.
Police said the group had been linked to attacks against soldiers and government forces in the Bangsamoro region.
“The group is allegedly sowing fears in the community through terroristic activities. They are allegedly responsible in crimes and ambush that claimed lives of soldiers and other government forces in the area,” the report said.
Two of the fatalities, Bato and Aragon, were former violent extremists who had earlier surrendered to authorities.
Meanwhile, no casualties were reported on the government side.
Security forces recovered several firearms from the scene including two M16 rifles, an M4 rifle, an M1 Garand rifle, and a .38 caliber revolver. A hand grenade and components for improvised explosive devices were also seized.
Police Maj. Gen. Robert A.A. Morico II, director of the CIDG, said the deaths of the group’s top leaders would weaken its operations.
“The neutralization of the leader and sub-leader is a major blow to the DI-MG operational capabilities in the region,” Morico said.
By removing weapons and fighters from circulation, the police said they may have prevented further attacks.
“By removing these high-powered firearms and their handlers from circulation, we have pre-emptively prevented future acts of terror and stopped a cell directly responsible for the senseless killing of our soldiers,” Morico added.
The Maute Group, which pledged allegiance to the Islamic State, gained international attention during the Marawi siege, when local terrorists laid siege in the Islamic City on May 23, 2017 before being defeated by government forces after five months.
Remnants of the group have since regrouped in parts of Lanao del Sur and nearby provinces, prompting continued military and police operations.
“We remain unyielding in our mission to dismantle every threat to national security,” Morico said.
“The CIDG, alongside our partners in the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines will continue to ensure that the Bangsamoro region and the entire nation remain safe and secure for all Filipinos,” he added.