Manila LGU raises to P3,500 daily subsidy to 'libreng sakay' PUV drivers
Manila Mayor Francisco "Isko Moreno" Domagoso (Photo from Manila PIO)
Manila City Mayor Francisco "Isko" Moreno Domagoso announced on Tuesday, March 31, that the city government is increasing its subsidy for jeepney drivers participating in its "Libreng Sakay" initiative from P3,000 to P3,500 following the overwhelming success of the program's rollout and the new round of oil price hikes.
Domagoso said the subsidy raise is funded by the P661,000 worth of savings generated from the program's first day on March 30.
According to the Manila Public Information Office (PIO), a total of 129,665 passengers were served during the Libreng Sakay's rollout, with 1,038 jeepneys participating across the city's six districts.
"Mga driver, dadagdagan ko po ng P500 ang bawat araw ninyo upang sa ganoon, 'yung pagtaas ng presyo ng P12 kahapon ng krudo ay ma-offset ngayong araw na ito at sa mga darating pang araw (Drivers, I will increase your daily subsidy by P500 so that the P12 increase in the price of crude oil yesterday will be offset today and in the days to come)," Domagoso said, adding the increased subsidy of P3,500 will apply for the remaining days of the program—Tuesday, March 31, and the following Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week.
"Imbes na ilagay ko ulit 'yan sa libreta ng gobyerno, o, sa palad niyo na lang bilang pagtugon sa pagtaas ng presyo ng krudo kahapon at sa mga darating na araw (Instead of me putting that back into the government's budget, I'll just place it back in your hands in response to the increase in crude oil prices yesterday and in the coming days)," he noted.
The mayor also expressed cautious optimism that additional resources would come the city's way in the days ahead.
He had earlier explained the Libreng Sakay program guaranteed benefits to jeepney operators, drivers, gas station workers, and the riding public in what he described as a comprehensive response to the economic pressures brought by the global oil crisis.
"Everyone will benefit from the initiative: Operators have guaranteed earnings through boundaries, and drivers have at least P1,000 worth of net earnings daily," Domagoso said.
Under the Libreng Sakay program, participating jeepney drivers will receive about P3,500 per day depending on the type of their unit from the city government, with 50 percent paid upfront before a driver's first trip and the remaining half to be released at the end of the shift.
Gas stations also benefit from Manila's Libreng Sakay framework, as jeepneys are guaranteed to complete their routes regardless of passenger load, ensuring fuel purchases.
The local chief executive stressed that despite the program's P20 million costs, its impact on the public greatly justified the spending, noting that the move alleviates the daily transport anxiety of commuters who worry about how far they can stretch their own money amid the economic crisis.
Special payout
A total of 23,630 beneficiaries belonging to various transport groups and sectors in Manila have received the P5,000 fuel subsidy from the national government.
Citing reports from the Manila Department of Social Welfare and Development (MDSW), Domagoso said 6,648 individuals have yet to receive their subsidy from the 30,278 total number of target beneficiaries.
The mayor explained the city had first distributed fuel subsidies to tricycle drivers last March 17, followed by 2,629 transport network vehicle service drivers (TNVS) on March 24, 2,488 jeepney drivers on March 25, and 3,989 motorcycle taxi drivers on March 28.
MDSW Director Jay Dela Fuente said the DSWD is eyeing a special payout for those who have initially failed to receive the cash assistance after the Holy Week.