'Para-paraan': Cops bust cigarette smuggling attempt using concrete mixer truck in Maguindano del Norte
The attempt by a syndicate to use a concrete mixer truck to distribute smuggled cigarettes in various parts of Mindanao was busted after policemen manning checkpoints sensed something wrong during a checkpoint in Maguindanao del Norte on Tuesday morning, March 17.
Call it law enforcement instinct or whatever but national police chief Gen. Jose Melencio C. Nartatez, Jr. is thankful, and in fact, lauded the police team manning the checkpoint in Sitio Marayag, Brgy. Bayanga Norte, Matanog for discovering the modus.
“Criminal groups are always thinking of ways to outsmart us, but your PNP will always find ways to bust them. I commend the operating unit in Maguindanao del Norte for uncovering this modus,” said Nartatez.
Based on the report from the Police Regional Office in Bangsamoro Autonomous Region (PRO-BAR), the truck was flagged down for routine inspection when operatives noticed irregularities in its cargo compartment.
During verification, suspected contraband items reportedly fell from inside the mixer drum, prompting a thorough inspection that led to the seizure of the cigarettes.
Police collared the driver and the helper of the truck after the concrete mixer truck yielded 7,550 reams of assorted cigarettes. They also failed to present documents for the cargo, according to police.
“Our intelligence units are currently tracing the paper trail and the transit route. We are looking into the supply chain from abroad down to various areas in the country.We are not ruling out a centralized distribution network,” Nartatez said.
Billions worth of smuggled cigarettes have been seized by the PNP, in coordination with other law enforcement agencies, since late last year as the national government launched a crackdown against these products.
Further, Nartatez noted that the use of a cement mixer truck to conceal the contraband raises concerns about the level of planning involved in smuggling activities across Mindanao.
“The use of a cement mixer truck as a 'front' shows a high level of sophistication. This is clearly the work of an organized group attempting to bypass our checkpoints through deceptive means,” he stressed.
Police launched a follow-up investigation to identify possible warehouses or ports of origin, particularly in western Mindanao, while surveillance was launched on known smuggling routes in the area.
Nartatez urged the public to remain vigilant and report suspicious cargo movements in their communities.
“Even if these syndicates use heavy machinery or creative concealment, the PNP remains vigilant. We will continue to dismantle their operations and seize their assets to protect our economy,” he said.
The suspects, vehicle, and confiscated cigarettes remain under police custody as the investigation continues to determine the full extent of the network behind the operation.