59,000 Metro Manila tricycle drivers receive cash aid so far, says DSWD
(PHOTO BY SANTI SAN JUAN/MANILA BULLETIN)
A total of 59,149 tricycle drivers in Metro Manila have received ₱5,000 each under the Department of Social Welfare and Development’s (DSWD) Assistance to Individuals in Crisis Situations (AICS) program as of Wednesday noon, March 18, the second day of payouts.
DSWD Secretary Rex Gatchalian said the tricycle drivers were considered in crisis due to rising fuel costs linked to the geopolitical situation in the Middle East.
During a visit to several payout sites in Quezon City on Wednesday, Gatchalian said the department was pleased with the progress of the cash aid distribution.
He added that DSWD aims to reach a total of 139,000 tricycle drivers across Metro Manila and complete the payouts by Thursday, March 19.
The number of beneficiaries is expected to rise after the second day of payouts, and a special distribution will be arranged for drivers unable to attend due to illness or other reasons.
“For those who cannot come because they are in the hospital or have other reasons, we will coordinate with their mayors so there will be a special payout if they cannot come tomorrow,” Gatchalian said.
DSWD plans to extend the cash aid to other public utility vehicle groups, including transport network vehicle service (TNVS) drivers, motorcycle taxis, public utility jeepneys (PUJs), and food delivery workers starting March 23.
“Next week our goal is to target payouts for TNVS and motorcycle taxi drivers on Monday and Tuesday, (March 23-24) then hopefully by next week, Metro Manila’s PUJs and food delivery services,” Gatchalian added.
He also assured drivers outside Metro Manila that the government’s assistance will reach them as well, in line with President Marcos Jr.’s directive that no one will be left behind.
“Fellow countrymen in the provinces, all drivers in need of assistance—no one will be left behind. You will be helped. Just wait for announcements through your local government,” he said.