Palace: Gratitude for Marcos Sr.'s burial at hero cemetery doesn't mean tolerating criminal charges vs Duterte
President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. (Mark Balmores/MANILA BULLETIN)
Expressing President Marcos' gratitude for allowing the burial of his father at the Libingan ng mga Bayani during former president Rodtigo Duterte's term does not mean he will overlook the criminal cases filed against his predecessor, Malacañang said.
Palace Press Officer and Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro said that while Marcos was thankful for his father’s burial at the hero cemetery, allowed through a Supreme Court decision during his predecessor’s term, it would not prevent him from respecting the legal processes that led to Duterte’s arrest over crimes and deaths during his bloody war on drugs.
"[A]ng pagtanaw ng utang na loob ay hindi naman po kinakailangan na i-tolerate at tulugan ang anumang akusasyon ng kriminalidad at takpan ang mata sa maaaring nadulot ng karumaldumal na patayan ng EJK (Expressing gratitude does not mean tolerating or ignoring any allegations of criminality, or turning a blind eye to the possible consequences of the gruesome extrajudicial killings)," Castro said in a Palace briefing on Thursday, March 12.
"Hindi rin po pupuwedeng ipikit ng gobyerno at ng Pangulo ang kanyang mata sa mga sinapit po ng mga complainants dito sa ICC (The government and the President also cannot simply close their eyes to what the complainants at the ICC have gone through)," Castro stressed.
The Palace mouthpiece said this when sought for reaction on the statement made by Davao City Representative Paolo Duterte that by allowing the arrest of his father on March 11 last year, Marcos chose "political vengeance over gratitude."
The lawmaker reminded the President of the burial of the late dictator at the Libingan ng mga Bayani during Duterte's presidency.
Castro, however, pointed out that the burial of Marcos Sr. at the heroes' cemetery was carried out in accordance with the law.
"Ang pagpapalibing po ng labi ni dating Pangulong Ferdinand E. Marcos Sr. ay ito naman po ay naaayon sa batas at nagkaroon din po ng desisyon ang Supreme Court dito (The burial of the remains of former President Ferdinand E. Marcos Sr. was carried out in accordance with the law, and there was also a decision by the Supreme Court regarding it)," she said.
"So, muli, nagpapasalamat po si Pangulong Marcos Jr. sa ginawang ito ni dating Pangulong Duterte, at ito naman po ay sinang-ayunan ng Supreme Court at wala naman pong nalalabag na batas. Iyon lamang po (So again, President Marcos Jr. is thankful to former President Duterte for this, and it was upheld by the Supreme Court and did not violate any law. That is all)," Castro added.