Ex-Antique Gov Cadiao, other officials, contractor charged with graft in P531-M provincial government center
A graft complaint has been filed against former Antique governor Rhodora J. Cadiao, eight other officials, and a contractor for the alleged irregular construction of P531.2 million Antique Government Center.
Also charged before the Office of the Ombudsman were Provincial Accountant Esther Minnie A. Julian, Provincial Treasurer Joyce N. Suriaga, Provincial Engineer and bids and awards committee (BAC) Vice Chairman Inocencio P. Dajao, Jr., former provincial administrator and BAC chairman Nery G. Duremdes, former BAC vice chairman Nicolasito S. Calawag, Jr., BAC member Rachel B. Gindap, former BAC member Rene B. Oberio, former BAC Secretariat Bienvenido E. Nallos Jr., and the owners of F. Gurrea Construction, Inc.
The complaint against them was filed by Jon Sherwin S. Pacete and Wilson A. Geronimo.
The complainants said that the Antique Government Center was situated on a 6.4-hectare agricultural land in Barangay Badiang, San Jose de Buenavista town.
They claimed that Cadiao formally requested the reclassification of the lot from agricultural to institutional use, but was denied in Sangguniang Bayan (SB) Resolution No. 54, Series of 2023 and the project was publicly shelved.
However, the complainants alleged that F. Gurrea Construction, Inc. proceeded with the project and finished 30 percent by Jan. 22, 2025.
They also alleged that F. Gurrea Construction, Inc. was initially paid P144,689,986.22 as "Mobilization Payment" then P386,572,719.64 as "First and Partial Progress Payment" on May 14, 2025.
Pacete and Geronimo claimed that a work stoppage order was issued on June 20, 2025 due to the absence of a building permit.
On Feb. 18, 2026, they alleged that the Office of the Building Official of San Jose de Buenavista issued an official certification confirming that no building permit was ever approved for the Antique Government Center.
"The core issue in this complaint is whether public funds may lawfully be disbursed for substantial structural works undertaken on a project site affected by unresolved land-use classification issues, absence of building permit, issuance of a Work Stoppage Order, and official confirmation that the building footprint lies within an irrigation service area," the complainants told the Ombudsman.
They allege that “the release of P531,262,705.86 to F. Gurrea Construction, Inc. under these circumstances exposed the provincial government to potential audit disallowance, invalid expenditure, legal nullification of works undertaken, and financial loss arising from non-compliance with regulatory requirements."
They also alleged that the payment made to F. Gurrea Construction, Inc. - particularly the mobilization payment - was entered into the accounting records on Sept. 14, 2023 or six and a half months after the SB Resolution was issued that formally denied the request for land reclassification on Feb. 27, 2023.
They added that the payment was done six months after Cadiao said on March 1, 2023 that the project had been shelved.