Binangonan vendors get rent-free stalls, cash aid after market blaze
By Nel Andrade
The municipal government of Binangonan has begun reaching out to vendors who lost their livelihood in the fire that gutted the town market on March 6.
In an official statement posted on social media, the office of Mayor Ma. Elvira Cecille "Rhea" Ynares announced that all stall owners whose businesses were destroyed will not be charged monthly rental fees, as part of efforts to help them recover from their losses.
Smoke is still billowing from the Binangonan Public Market even a day after the blaze started at past 7 p.m. on March 6 (photo by Nel Andrade)
This policy also covers ambulant vendors who were affected by the blaze.
The municipal government added that cash relief will be distributed through its social welfare office.
Since the March 6 fire, electricity has remained unavailable not only in the damaged portion of the public market but also the surrounding areas, making it difficult for vendors -- especially those whose products depend on refrigeration or power -- to continue operating.
On Saturday afternoon, this reporter witnessed firemen extinguishing a small fire inside the damaged market.
Smoke was still billowing as firefighters directed water toward the source. A few explosions were also heard from the structure while the operation was ongoing.
The municipal government has assured vendors of continued support, including financial aid, to help them sustain their livelihood.
A separate section of the public market that was spared from the blaze has been designated as a temporary area for vendors.
This reporter found some stall owners selling their goods in the chicken and fish section near the damaged area, despite warnings from firefighters that the roof of the main market structure had already collapsed.
A vendor said they had no choice but to continue their business to provide for their family.
The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) said some 200 stalls were damaged in the blaze, which broke out shortly after 6 p.m., when most stalls were already closed.
A BFP investigator told Manila Bulletin that the cause of blaze is still under investigation, but initial findings suggest faulty electrical wiring may have been a major factor. The incident resulted in an estimated P18 million worth of damages.