Supernatural reality show 'Battle of Fates' charms its way to No. 1 series premiere on Disney+ in Korea
The supernatural reality competition show “Battle of Fates” has charmed its way to the top of the charts in South Korea.
Disney+ announced that “Battle of Fates” achieved the feat of being the No. 1 series premiere of all time on Disney+ in Korea.
“Battle of Fates” surpassed the record previously held by “Moving” in 2023 based on the first 12 days on the streaming platform.
It also got the record of achieving the No. 1 series premiere of 2026 on Disney+ in the Asia Pacific Region (APAC) with local adaptations for other markets now confirmed to be in development.
First premiering on Feb. 11, “Battle of Fates” featured 49 fortune tellers in Korea, including masters of shamanism, tarot, face and foot reading, saju, and different schools of divination as they compete in a series of challenges designed to test their abilities.
Using every tool at their disposal, from communing with spirit guides, to fans, bells, dowsing rods, deduction, and even modern-day laptops, the readers compete to give the most accurate information possible to avoid elimination and advance to the next round.
Earlier this week, the finale episode was released exclusively on Disney+, revealing which of the original 49 competitors was crowned Korea’s top fate reader.
The winner of the competition said, "I had a lot of deep thought and introspection before taking on this show. I repeatedly thought about whether I might be a role model to the teachers who have quietly walked this path for so many years, and whether my own learning and capacity are still lacking," Korean media reported.
The winner also addressed negative views some have held towards traditional Korean beliefs.
"Some ask, 'Why are you bringing something that should remain in the shadows into the light?' However, I believe that those who uphold the right path already stand in the light, shining their own light," the winner said.