Furious Lopez vows to run after DOTr personnel behind Central Visayas payola collection; LTO orders probe
Published Feb 26, 2026 09:03 pm
At least two officials of the Department of Transportation (DOTr) are being linked to the alleged collection of monthly payola in Central Visayas.
DOTr sources said Secretary Giovanni Z. Lopez did not believe the report when he was first informed about it, until he was presented with proof of the alleged P8 million monthly payola quota in Central Visayas alone before his visit in Cebu last week.
During the visit, Lopez reportedly insisted on meeting the two personnel connected with the Land Transportation Office-Region 7 who were tagged as the collectors.
It was during the meeting that Lopez confirmed the illegal collection activities but it was not immediately clear if the two LTO personnel disclosed the name of the DOTr executive who allegedly ordered them to collect the monthly payola.
Sources, however, said that Lopez was furious and vowed to run after all those involved in the incident. At least one more official in the DOTr has also knowledge of the alleged collection.
The same sources said Lopez is now conducting verification if there was also an order to other LTO local officials to collect and remit monthly payola.
For his part, LTO chief Assistant Secretary Makus Lacanilao ordered a thorough investigation into the incident involving the agency’s Central Visayas regional office.
In a statement, Lacanilao said he ordered the immediate activation of a specialized team from the LTO Central Office to conduct a thorough and unsparing investigation.
"Let me be clear, there will be no stone left unturned in this investigation. We will meticulously trace every lead, examine every document, and interview every relevant personnel until we identify and bring to justice those responsible for these alleged corrupt practices,” said Lacanilao.
“The LTO is committed to upholding the highest standards of public service, and we will purge our ranks of anyone who tarnishes that commitment. This is not merely an audit; this is a relentless pursuit of truth and accountability to restore the public's trust in LTO Region 7. We will ensure that justice is served and that our services are delivered with integrity and transparency,” he added.
The official said the investigation he ordered will look into all aspects of LTO Region 7's operations, including financial transactions, licensing and registration processes, and enforcement activities.
“The LTO Central Office guarantees that the probe will be conducted with utmost impartiality and without fear or favor. Any official or employee found complicit in corrupt activities will face the full force of the law and administrative sanctions,” said Lacanilao.
“The LTO assures the public of its unwavering commitment to eradicate corruption and maintain a clean and trustworthy public service. Updates on the investigation's progress will be provided to the public as they become available.