DPWH Secretary Vince Dizon inspects the ongoing construction of the Metro Cebu Expressway in Naga City, Cebu during his visit last month. (DPWH video)
CEBU CITY – After years of delays and uncertainty, a segment of a major infrastructure project in Cebu is finally set for completion.
Officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) expressed optimism that Segment 3A of the Metro Cebu Expressway (MCE) will be completed by July this year.
DPWH-7 Assistant Regional Director Nonato Paylado said rehabilitation works are underway, particularly in Naga City, where part of the structure was damaged due to ground movement.
Rehabilitation and completion works resumed after the Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) partially lifted a 2024 cease-and-desist order (CDO) affecting a portion of the structure, said Paylado.
“We are now initiating rehabilitation. It’s ongoing,” Paylado told reporters at the sidelines of the “Usapang Budget Natin” Forum on Friday, Feb. 20.
DPWH Secretary Vince Dizon inspected the project last month where he ordered to fast-track the segment’s completion.
The Metro Cebu Expressway was launched in 2018. It was envisioned as a major north-south backbone road that would decongest traffic in Metro Cebu and improve connectivity between Cebu City and other Metro Cebu towns.
The project was delayed due to several issues. Among the key issues were funding shortfalls, right-of-way (ROW) acquisition bottlenecks, the lack of Environmental Compliance Certificates (ECC) for certain portions, and terrain instability that led to structural damage and construction setbacks.
The project was further delayed when it was removed from the priority infrastructure flagship programs due to implementation difficulties and setbacks.
DPWH Undersecretary Ador Canlas said ROW constraints remain a major challenge. He said the agency’s ROW budget from 2022 to 2025 had been consistently limited.
“There were funds for 2025, but these were not implemented because of right-of-way issues,” Canlas said.
Budget for the project was augmented but the additional funds were insufficient to meet the project’s requirements.
For 2025, P400 million has been allocated for civil works, but the P5 billion right-of-way allocation for 2026 will cover projects nationwide, intensifying competition for resources.
Segments 1, 2, and 3B of the MCE are being implemented by the Cebu provincial government under a public-private partnership (PPP) scheme.