Landslide hits South Cotabato village; PDRRMO blames open pit coal mining
COLLAPSED section of the Ned-Santo Niño Road in Sitio El Dulog, Barangay Ned, Lake Sebu, South Cotabato. (Photo courtesy of Amiel Cagayan)
DAVAO CITY – The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office of South Cotabato believes that ongoing open pit coal mining operations may have contributed to the massive landslide in Sitio El Dulog in the mountainous Barangay Ned in Lake Sebu, South Cotabato.
But PDRRMO Rolly Doane Aquino told Manila Bulletin over the phone that he is not discounting the continuous rains and recent series of earthquakes in the region as among the factors that contributed to the landslide that reportedly took place on Feb. 13.
Following the landslide, pictures of the massive landslide circulated in social media and sparked public outcry against ongoing coal mining operations.
As the coal naturally exists underground, Aquino explained that coal is said to have a low water absorption capacity.
“During heavy rainfall, water absorbed by the topsoil may move downward, and upon reaching coal layers, may redirect and carry soil, potentially resulting in landslide,” he said.
Aquino said that the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) had already monitored signs of land subsidence, tension cracks, and road cracking even before mining operations began.
“Since there is ongoing coal extraction in the lower part of the area. Definitely, there’s a chance that the upper portion could be eroded when it rains,” he said.
The Manila Bulletin reached out to the MGB Regional Office-12 in Koranadal City but a personnel said that they do not have clearance from the central office of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to issue any statement.
Aquino said the massive landslide has rendered the road completely impassable to all types of vehicles, disrupting transportation and movement of goods among residents.
He added that it may also not be possible anymore to repair the road due to the extent of the damage and would be more practical to find other routes.
Aquino said the landslide destroyed about 400 meters of the road that links Barangay Ned Proper and Santo Nino town, also in South Cotabato.
He added that the landslide is about five to seven kilometers long from the road going towards the coal mining site.
The PDRRMO chief clarified that the provincial government is neither pro-mining nor anti-mining. The provincial government stands on the side of good governance and public welfare, Aquino emphasized. He assured the public that the provincial government will continue to monitor the situation.
Aquino disclosed that six families have evacuated to safer grounds and may no longer be allowed to resettle in the area due to the threat of landslides.
He added that the provincial government has extended relief aid to affected families.
Vice Gov. Arthuro Pingoy convened an emergency meeting with local government officials and other stakeholders on Feb. 18 to discuss mitigating measures in response to the landslide.
Pingoy also said that they have invited operating coal companies to a hearing to clarify issues surrounding the ongoing coal mining operations – Daguma Agro Minerals Inc. (DAMI), Sultan Energy Philippines Corp. (SEPC), and Bonanza Energy Resources Inc. (BERI). They hold the coal operating contracts granted by the DOE.
According to reports, only DAMI is operating under the Department of Energy’s Coal Operating Contract No. 126 and covers about 2,000 hectares.