DENAGA (Prime Tejida)
BACOLOD CITY – The Bureau of Fire Protection-Negros Island Region (BFP-NIR) recorded a 40 percent reduction in fire incidents covering three provinces in 2025.
Fire Chief Supt. Rodolfo Denaga, BFP-NIR director, in a press briefing at the Negros Press Club (NPC) here on Thursday, Feb. 19, said that only 1,060 fire incidents were recorded last year compared to 1,700 in 2024 in the provinces of Siquijor, Negros Occidental, including this highly-urbanized city, and Negros Oriental.
Damage to property also decreased 19 percent, from P236 million in 2024 to
P160 million in 2025. Denaga said the decline can be attributed to the fire prevention campaign of the BFP, particularly in red zones or fire-prone areas.
He noted that BFP personnel put more emphasis on fire prevention measures especially with the classification of red zones.
Denaga added that there are many stakeholders that would now somehow help in preventing fire in these areas. To sustain or even reach a wider audience, Denaga said they are using social media to educate the public on fire safety tips.
He stressed the importance of bunking on the youth to make them fire safety conscious. They engaged the youth through their fire roadshow, and “Bumbero sa Paaralan,” among others, for a safe environment.
To further expand their awareness campaign, Denaga said that he directed BFP personnel to ensure that every people within their areas will be reached during house inspection. “This strategy would enable us to lower fire incidents,” he said.
Denaga also noted the importance of community fire auxiliary groups which act as fire responders during emergency cases in the barangays.
We train the people in the community to be resilient and to respond to any man-made and natural disasters, in support of the government agencies, he added.