LTO investigating syndicate smuggling luxury cars after arrest of a foreigner in Makati
LTO agents check on a luxury vehicle that was intercepted in Makati City over suspicion of smuggling.
The Land Transportation Office (LTO) is now conducting a thorough investigation into a group allegedly engaged in smuggling of luxury cars following the arrest of a Chinese national in a follow-up operation in Makati City.
LTO chief Asst. Secretary Marcus Lacanilao said part of the investigation is to determine the modus and the people, particularly government workers, who are in cahoots with the smugglers.
“This is an organized group. The initial investigation is that they are using vehicles for double registration and license plates as part of the modus so that the luxury vehicles and sports cars would not be recognized,” said Lacanilao.
Authorities are also looking into the other members of the syndicate, who are said to be foreign nationals.
He said the operation that led to the arrest of the Chinese stemmed from the information relayed from the office of Sen. Erwin Tulfo regarding the alleged smuggling activities of the foreigner.
Backed by police operatives, LTO agents intercepted a Mercedes Benz S-500 in Makati City on Nov. 27 and chanced upon the foreigner inside. He also yielded an unlicensed handgun.
During the probe, Lacanilao said the blue-colored Mercedes Benz did not match the description in the vehicle’s registration papers while the arrested foreigner was found to be using a fake driver’s license.
The LTO chief said the modus was apparently aimed at concealing the identity of the foreigner who was also accused of smuggling other luxury vehicles like Ferrari and Rolls Royce.
The arrested foreigner allegedly owns a motor vehicle shop in Makati which was raided by the Bureau of Customs early this year.
Lacanilao said they already coordinated with the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to check and verify the suspect’s real identity.
He said that the suspect’s clients were previously connected to Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGO) operations in the country.
The suspect is currently detained in Camp Crame, in the custody of the PNP-HPG. While the Mercedes Benz has been impounded by the LTO.