CAB orders airline firms to minimize effects of Airbus recall
The Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) ordered on Saturday, Nov. 29, all airline companies to initiate measures that would cushion the impact of the worldwide response on Airbus safety concerns.
CAB executive director Carmelo Arcilla said they already instructed all airline companies to mitigate passenger dislocation and maintain continuity of essential travel in an advisory issued on Saturday.
He said part of the instruction to the airline companies is to adhere to an effective Crisis Management Plan that must include designation of a single point of contact and decision-making authority to coordinate all actions; and, pre-establishment
of agreements with other carriers for flight rebooking assistance, alternative ground and sea transport providers, hotels for emergency accommodation.
He said the mobilization of additional temporary staff to address the needs of dislocated passengers is equally important.
“More specifically, airlines are required to provide clear, accurate, and timely information to passengers regarding changes in flight schedules, including details on rebooking, refunds, and other applicable passenger entitlements, including real-time updates on the flight grounding status, and assistance procedures through using SMS, email, in-app notifications, and airport PA systems, necessary,’ the CAB advisory read.
The aviation sector around the world was rocked by what experts described as a serious security glitch when it was reported that solar radiation could affect the integrity of the computer software on at least one Airbus jet model.
This resulted in the announcement of a massive recall which has so far affected around 6,000 Airbus A320 worldwide.
On the part of the CAB, it is also concerned about the plight of the airline passengers.
In the advisory, he said airlines were instructed to provide passengers with options like:
1. Re-routing of passengers to their unaffected aircraft and routes, or through their partner airlines;
2. Endorsement to an available flight operated by another air carrier; or
3. Endorsement to a non-air transportation provider.
“The options shall be clearly and promptly communicated to affected passengers including but not limited to information as to capacity of alternative non-air transportation options, and designated departure times,’ said Arcilla.
To prevent any confusion that may be caused by misinformation, Arcilla said airlines should properly coordinate with airport authorities, air traffic control (ATC) and other regulatory bodies.
He said all airlines are also directed to issue a single, consistent public message to ensure clear communication and prevent unnecessary alarm among passengers.
“Airlines shall maintain a unified advisory across all platforms, and provide updates on a predictable schedule, at least every four hours, or as significant developments arise,” he emphasized.
Passenger rights
Arcilla also emphasized the need for airline companies to respect the Air Passenger Bill of Rights in dealing with affected passengers.
For affected passengers that are within the vicinity of the airport, he said airlines are directed to provide immediate support through mobilization of additional temporary staff to man service desks.
He said vulnerable travelers like families with children, elderly, passengers with medical needs, must also be prioritized.
“Passengers are encouraged to closely monitor official announcements from their respective airlines through official websites, mobile applications, or customer service channels for updates on flight status,” the advisory read.
“For flights that have already been confirmed as cancelled, passengers are advised not to proceed to the airport unless expressly instructed by their airline,” it added.