'Insatiable greed, corruption' led to Zaldy Co's removal as appropriations chairman--Sandro Marcos
At A Glance
- House Majority Leader Ilocos Norte 1st district Rep. Sandro Marcos has set the record straight regarding then-Ako Bicol Party-list representative Zaldy Co's removal as Committee on Appropriations chairman during the previous 19th Congress.
Zaldy Co (Facebook)
House Majority Leader Ilocos Norte 1st district Rep. Sandro Marcos has set the record straight regarding then-Ako Bicol Party-list representative Zaldy Co's removal as Committee on Appropriations chairman during the previous 19th Congress.
According to Rep. Marcos, no resignation happened--Co was simply shown the door as far as his chairmanship was concerned.
"Congress is a collegial body and decisions are made through a process of election. Zaldy Co was removed as appropriations chairman because members caught wind of his insatiable greed and corruption. Not because of the whim of any individual," the presidential son said in a statement Tuesday, Nov. 25.
"The 'sagasa (overlapping projects)' that he orchestrated in certain districts such as Bulacan and other municipalities speak for themselves," he said.
The chairmanship of the Committee on Appropriation--one of the most powerful positions in the House of Representatives--was declared vacant on Jan. 13. At that point. Co had been appropriations panel chairman for two and a half years, dating back to July 2022.
Back then, Co said that he purposely "stepped down" from his post.
"This decision, made with a heavy heart, is driven by pressing health concerns...The highly demanding nature of my role has taken its toll, and I now need to prioritize seeking the medical attention necessary for my well-being," he said last January.
Co has hardly been seen publicly since then. He is now in hiding abroad after being implicated in budget insertions and the flood control projects corruption scandal.
He has been releasing "video exposés" in tranches wherein he has been linking Marcos administration personalities to these same controversies. Rep. Marcos and his father President Marcos have denied Co's claims.
Co resigned as Ako Bicol Party-list representative under the current 20th Congress last Sept. 29.