PNP intensifies crackdown on smuggled goods after seizure of P15.1 M worth of petrol, cigarettes
(Photo: PNP-CIDG)
The Philippine National Police (PNP) has stepped up its nationwide campaign against smuggling and illicit trade following the seizure of P15.1 million worth of petroleum products and cigarettes from suspected smugglers in Batangas and Quezon provinces, Acting PNP Chief Police Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said on Friday, Oct. 10.
“Smuggling operations are often highly organized and use sophisticated methods to evade detection, especially along coastal areas and remote routes. One of our challenges is monitoring vast maritime and land borders where illegal shipments may pass through,” he said.
“Nonetheless, through intensified intelligence gathering, inter-agency coordination, and community support, we continue to strengthen our capability to detect and prevent these activities,” he added.
Nartatez warned that the PNP will relentlessly pursue illegal traders as he emphasized that “smuggling undermines the economy and robs the nation of vital public funds.”
The intensified operations aimed to target illegal storage sites and distribution channels, with the PNP expanding surveillance using maritime assets, drones, and community-based intelligence to detect unregistered fuel shipments and contraband goods.
Earlier this week, operatives of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) seized around P15.1 million worth of petroleum products and cigarettes believed to be products of smuggling in separate operations in Batangas and Quezon province.
In Batangas, two fuel tanker trucks containing 26,000 liters of diesel fuel; 10,000 liters of unleaded; and 4,000 liters of premium were seized by CIDG operatives from three suspects during an intelligence-driven operation last Oct. 6.
The CIDG said that the operation stemmed from confirmed intelligence reports about the illegal sale of petroleum products believed to be pilfered through “paihi” operations, which is done to evade taxes and duties.
The seized items have an estimated total value of P9,144,000.00.
Meanwhile, a Chinese national was arrested in Lucena City, Quezon on the same day after he yielded around P6 million worth of assorted cigarettes believed to have been smuggled into the country.
Among those confiscated from the warehouse of the foreigner were master cases of Marlboro, Marshal, H&P, Carnival, Cannon, Xplore Blue Modern American Blend, Modern King, HP, Fortune, Chesterfield, Champion, and Mighty, the CIDG said.
Nartatez lauded the CIDG as he said the accomplishments prove that the PNP “remains steadfast in protecting the economy from illicit trade activities, with each successful operation disrupting the illegal supply chain and helping ensure a level playing field for legitimate businesses.”
“Every liter of fuel and every pack of cigarettes seized from smugglers is a victory for honest work, fair trade, and the Filipino people. We protect not just our borders but also our nation’s integrity,” he said.