3 die from eating 'butete' in Albay

LEGAZPI CITY, Albay – Three individuals died and four others were hospitalized after consuming puffer fish, locally known as "butete," in Barangay Tambo, Libon town, Albay province on Wednesday, May 8.

The Libon Municipal Police Station (MPS) on Thursday, May 9, said two families were poisoned after eating the fish which is deadly when improperly prepared.

Police said that one of the victims caught the puffer fish and cooked it even though it was not cleaned.

They consumed the fish and experienced stomach ache and vomiting.

The victims were taken to the Pantao District Hospital in Libon where  three of them were declared dead.

Four others were transferred to the Bicol Regional Hospital and Medical Center (BRHMC) in Legazpi City.

Police advised the people to be wary of eating puffer fish.