CSC encourages honor graduates to apply for special eligibility

The Civil Service Commission (CSC) on Wednesday, April 24 urged college graduates with Latin honors to apply for Honor Graduate Eligibility (HGE) if they want to work in the public sector.

“Summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude graduates no longer need to take the Career Service Exam as they may avail of the special eligibility. We are eager to work with these bright and fresh minds to bolster the quality of public service,” Civil Service Commission (CSC) Chairperson Karlo Nograles said on Wednesday, April 24.

He said the HGE is granted pursuant to Presidential Decree No. 907, issued on March 11, 1976, and can be obtained by bachelor’s degree graduates either from the conventional mode of learning or Open Distance Learning (ODL), regardless of the number of years of completion.

The HGE for conventional mode of learning is applicable to honor graduates of private Higher Education Institutions (HEI) in the Philippines with bachelor’s degree recognized by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED), state/local colleges or universities with bachelor’s degrees included in their charters, or duly approved by their Board of Trustees or Board of Regents.

For honor graduates through ODL, open university, college, or institution must be recognized by the CHED as a degree-granting HEI, and have at least Level III accreditation or CHED-equivalent in the programs offered in the conventional classroom or traditional mode of learning.

Meanwhile, Filipinos who graduated with honors from reputable foreign schools, with the corresponding certification on the status of operation issued by the foreign government, may also apply for Foreign School Honor Graduate Eligibility (FSHGE).

The CSC clarified that the HGE, HGE-ODL, and FSHGE grants do not include other academic honors, distinctions, or awards, such as highest academic distinction, dean’s list with distinction, and honorable mention.

“These eligibilities for honor graduates are considered appropriate for first and second-level positions in the government that do not require the practice of a specific profession and are not covered by Bar, Board, or other laws. Graduates may file their application for HGE to the CSC Regional Office or Field Office that has jurisdiction over their academic institution or alma mater,” Nograles explained.

CSC said candidates for the FSHGE may send their application to the CSC Regional or Field Office that is closest to their current place of residence.