“Dream,” the Korean film starring actor Park Seo-joon and singer-actress IU, premiered on top of the box office in South Korea.
In the movie, which was released on April 26, Park Seo-joon plays the role of football player Yoon Hong-dae, who got a disciplinary action and is made the coach of a soccer team composed of homeless people who will be trained for the Homeless World Cup. IU is a director who is making a documentary about the team.
"Dream" film stars (Photos from Megabox Plus, KOFIC)
According to the Korean Film Council (KOFIC), “Dream” sold 93,417 tickets and grossed $555,830 from 1,229 screens on the first day of release to top the daily box office.
Including the pre-opening screening, “Dream” has recorded 101,277 in total admissions and gross of $604,325 to date.
“Dream” is the first Korean film to top the box office in 50 days. It is directed by Lee Byeong-heon, who helmed the 2019 movie “Extreme Job,” which holds the record of the most watched film of all time in South Korea with 16.26 million tickets sold. The movie starred Ryu Seung-ryong, Lee Hanee, Jin Seon-kyu, Lee Dong-hwi and Gong Myung.
“Dream” beat “The Super Mario Bros. Movie,” which also premiered on April 26. The film sold 89,693 tickets and grossed $577,426 to place second on the Korean box office.
"Dream" film (KOFIC)
Placing third is “John Wick: Chapter 4,” which topped the daily box office until April 25. The film sold 42,123 tickets and grossed $252,566 at the box office on April 26. To date, it has sold 1.34 million tickets and grossed $10.48 million in South Korea since its premiere on April 12.
Here are the most watched films in South Korea on April 26 based on KOFIC data:
1. Dream (South Korea, April 26) - $555,830 (gross) / 93,417 (total admission)
2. The Super Mario Bros. Movie (US) - $577,426 / 89,693
3. John Wick: Chapter 4 (US) - $252,566 / 42,123
4. Suzume (Japan) - $121,220 / 19,561
5. The First Slam Dunk (Japan) - $67,109 / 9,738
6. The Ghost station (Japan, South Korea) $42,727 / 6,509
7. Rebound (South Korea) - $36,800 / 6,329
8. Hidden Blade (China) - $27,675 / 4,410
9. Killing Romance (South Korea) - $17,143 / 3,005
10. 2001: A Space Odyssey (US, UK) - $7,940 / 1,283