Palace says Faustino knew of sudden change in AFP leadership


Malacañang has asserted that resigned Department of National Defense (DND) officer in charge Jose Faustino Jr. knew of the sudden change in the leadership of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

President Ferdinand 'Bongbong' Marcos Jr. swears in General Andres Centino as the new chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines on Jan. 6, 2023. (Photo courtesy of Malacañang)

The Palace also stressed that President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. "has the sole prerogative" to appoint new AFP Chief of Staff, Gen. Andres Centino.

"The President as the Commander-in-Chief has the sole prerogative to appoint the AFP Chief of Staff," Presidential Communications Office Secretary Cheloy Garafil said in a statement on Tuesday, Jan. 10.

"According to Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin, former DND (Department of National Defense) OIC Jose Faustino Jr. knew of the developments with regard to the appointment of Gen. Andres Centino, who is the only four-star general in the AFP," Garafil added.

This came after Faustino revealed that he quit from the post last week because of the sudden change in the leadership at the AFP.

He said that he tendered his resignation “after learning only from news and social media reports that an oath of office of the new Chief of Staff, AFP had taken place at Malacañang.”

Marcos designated Centino as AFP Chief of Staff, replacing previous appointee, Lt. Gen. Bartolome Bacarro, last Friday, Jan. 6.

Meanwhile, the President on Monday, Jan. 9, named retired military general Carlito Galvez Jr. as Defense chief, replacing Faustino. On the same day, Marcos also accepted the resignation of Faustino.