Colegio de San Lorenzo, a private Catholic college in Quezon City, announced its permanent closure due to “financial instability” and “lack of financial viability” because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The institution confirmed this in an official statement issued on Monday, Aug. 15, adding that the pandemic has worsened the “consistent” and “low” enrollment turnout over the past years.
“While students have already enrolled for the upcoming School Year (SY) 2022-2023, it would be difficult for Colegio de San Lorenzo to continue operating due to low turnout of enrollees this year. In connection with this development, we will initiate full refunds of fees paid (i.e. tuition, uniform, expenses, book expenses) and assist all students for their transfer to other schools and educational institutions by timely releasing their records and credentials for such purpose,” it said.
Colegio de San Lorenzo added that it would also help individuals who were enrolled in their College Department by ensuring a “better transition” to another educational institution of the same calibre.
Meanwhile, Department of Education (DepEd) Spokesperson Micheal Poa, in an interview over DZRH on Tuesday, Aug. 16, said Colegio de San Lorenzo had no prior communication with DepEd regarding the sudden and permanent closure of the institution.
“Kami rin ay nagulat. Wala silang paunang pasabi o any formal communication na magsasara sila (We were also surprised. They had no advance notice or any formal communication that they would be closing),” said Poa, adding that they are now looking for schools where learners may be transferred and absorbed.
Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Chairperson Prospero De Vera III, on the other hand, disclosed that the institution notified CHED National Capital Region (NCR) prior to the closure.
“Nagpunta sila sa CHED NCR last week para magsabi. ‘Yan ang report sa akin ng Regional Director ng NCR. Ito naman ay hindi unang beses may mga schools na nagsara noong nakaraan. Ang medyo iba lang dito ay parang very late at biglaan ang kanilang decision (They went and informed CHED NCR last week. That is what the Regional Director of NCR reported to me. This is not the first time, there are schools that have closed in the past. The only thing that is a bit different here is that their decision seems to be very late and sudden),” said De Vera in an interview over DZBB.