The Philippines Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) has no plan to ask President Duterte to reconsider his order that stopped online cockfighting operations, known as e-sabong.
Andrea D. Domingo, Pagcor chair and chief executive officer said on Tuesday, May 3, that the gaming regulator will implement the order despite the potential revenue losses for the national government.
“Pagcor has to implement the President's decision,” Domingo said in a mobile phone message when asked if she agrees with the chief executive’s order. Asked if Pagcor plans to appeal the decision against e-sabong, Domingo responded “No.”
Pagcor earns about P650 million in revenue per month from e-Sabong.
In his Talk to the People taped on Monday and aired on Tuesday, President Duterte ordered the suspension of e-sabong following the recommendation of the Department of the Interior and Local Government.
President Duterte explained that revenue collected from e-sabong is not worth the social damage caused by the online gambling activity.
President Duterte had previously refused to suspend e-sabong owing to the revenue it generates for the government.
Last week, Domingo said online cockfighting operations need a separate regulator, away from Pagcor, with sufficient authority to deal with the local governments involved in the trade.