Muntinlupa City’s active coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases continue to go down and according to the health office, there is a marked decrease in positive samples reported by laboratories.
On Feb. 10, the Muntinlupa City Health Office (CHO) reported that there are 99 active COVID-19 cases, the first time that the total dipped below 100 since Dec. 31 when there were 72 active cases in the city.
The CHO recorded eight new COVID-19 cases, 33 new recoveries, and one death on Feb. 10. The city has 39,618 confirmed cases, 39,911 recoveries, and 608 deaths since 2020.
During the surge in Omicron variant cases in the National Capital Region, Muntinlupa recorded the highest daily tally of new cases on Jan. 24 with 4,982.
In a two-week comparison, Muntinlupa had 198 new cases from Feb. 4 to 10, down by 1,634 cases or 89.2 percent from 1,832 new cases recorded from Jan. 28 to Feb. 3.
Dr. Juancho Bunyi, Muntinlupa CHO chief, told Manila Bulletin that there are several reasons why the number of active cases has gone down in the city.
“There is a marked decrease in the number of positive samples as reported by various laboratories as compared to last month. Muntinlupa MSF sometimes has one positive out of the total collected,” he said.
He also said, “Prioritization of testing is implemented, isolate, isolate, isolate” in order to curb the spread of the virus.
Bunyi added that the Muntinlupa City Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (CESU) follows the guidelines in case management regarding the shortened quarantine period under the Department of Health’s Department Memorandum 2022-0013 on the quarantine, isolation and testing of Omicron variant cases.
In addition, he said, “There is an observed decrease of symptomatic, thus reducing the number tested. Increased number of vaccinated individuals experiencing very mild to no symptoms.”
Mayor Jaime Fresnedi reminded the public to follow minimum public health standards such as the wearing of face masks and social distancing, and urged them to get vaccinated.