DepED monitors 'food poisoning' incident in Occidental Mindoro public school
The Department of Education (DepED) is monitoring the reported incident of suspected “food poisoning” that affected learners and teachers in a public school in Occidental Mindoro.

“We are currently coordinating with the Schools Division Office to get the facts,” DepED Spokesperson Michael Poa said in a Viber message on Monday, Oct. 10.
As reported by ABS-CBN, at least 88 elementary students from San Francisco Elementary School in Sablayan, Occidental Mindoro was rushed to various hospitals due to suspected case of food poisoning.
Citing Mayor Bong Marquez, the suspected cause of food poisoning is “lumpia” (spring roll) available at the school’s canteen.
Aside from students, at least six teachers were also among the affected individuals who needed medical attention.
In an interview over DZBB, Sablayan, Occidental Mindoro Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction And Management Office (MDRRMO) Head Arcris Canillo provided additional details regarding the incident.
Canillo said that the MDRRMO received a call at around noon about students of San Francisco ES who were complaining of stomach pains and needed to be rushed to the hospital.
Of the 94 reported patients, Canillo said that 22 are currently confined in the hospital while the rest of the victims were already sent home.
Canillo said that among the victims were students in grades 4, 5, and 6. So far, he noted said that there were no students reported to be in critical condition due to the suspected food poisoning incident.
Citing the initial investigation of the Philippine National Police (PNP), Canillo noted that the fried spring rolls sold inside the school might be the possible cause of the suspected food poisoning incident.
Canillo said that the local government unit (LGU) is providing the necessary assistance to the victims.