Anti-sexual harassment law must be applied to PH envoys harassing OFWs – Ople
Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) Secretary Susan Ople on Wednesday, Aug. 31, appealed to lawmakers to strengthen laws to make Philippine envoys and other overseas personnel who harass overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to be held liable under the existing Philippine Anti-Sexual Harassment Law.
Ople mentioned various cases she handled as a migrant workers’ advocate where diplomatic officials and other government personnel assigned overseas would took advantage of female domestic workers who have sought refuge in embassy-run shelters.
"There were instances we heard that overseas personnel were taking the wards out to go on dates,” said Ople.
Ople cited the case of an ambassador who was charged with sexual harassment by a domestic worker 10 years ago before the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).
However, the case was resolved last month and the ambassador, who had already retired, was only required to pay a fine to the victim.
"The domestic worker only finished second-year high school and was taken to the shelter to be the ambassador's maid; clearly her status is very vulnerable,” Ople said.
She appealed to Senator Tulfo to expand the coverage of the country’s anti-sexual harassment law to include all overseas personnel of the Philippine government held liable by existing law.
"I hope the coverage of the anti-sexual harassment law will be expanded to include all government employees assigned to different countries from ambassadors to drivers and local hires," Ople stressed.