DMW to send negotiators to address Saudi deployment ban

Published August 13, 2022, 11:54 AM

by Manila Bulletin

A group of arbiters will be sent to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to mediate issues on labor concerns and safety conditions of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) confirmed on Saturday, Aug. 13.

DMW Secretary Susan “Toots” Ople said the move is to assist over 10,000 household Filipino workers who are currently stuck in the country since November last year after the Philippine government imposed suspension of deploying Filipino workers to Saudi.

DMW Sec. Susan “Toots” Ople

“We initiated the communication with the Saudi officials to draw a ‘win-win’ solutions for the OFWs,” said Ople.

The deployment ban was ordered over reports that some 11,000 OFWs working in Saudi Arabia were victims of unfair labor practices and exploitation from 2016 to 2021.

Former administration attempted several times of negotiation to Saudi government but left unsuccessful.

“If we can agree quickly, then I will fly immediately to sign any agreement that needs to be signed. If it takes a while then we will wait. Because I think it’s very important that whatever we sign, kailangan natin sigurado,” Ople said. (Jun Marcos Tadios)

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[3062065,3099294,3099290,3099285,3099286,3099264,3099261]