The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has distributed nearly P129 million worth of assistance to residents of Northern Luzon who were either displaced or affected by the magnitude 7.0 earthquake on July 27.
Labor Secretary Bienvenido Laguesma said the assistance, mostly through cash-for-work program under Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa ating Disadvantaged/Distressed Workers (TUPAD), has benefitted 16,526 victims in Northern Luzon so far.
“The remaining part of the fund went to financing our continuing programs such as skills training, government internship program, livelihood and AKAP,” Laguesma said.
AKAP is a one-time financial aid given to returning overseas Filipino workers affected by a crisis.
DOLE also giving joint training-cum-production and emergency employment program with the help of TESDA (Technical Education and Skills Development Authority). This intends to employ pool of workers for rehabilitation works on damaged heritage structures and other infrastructures.
Areas covered of financial aid were residents of Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley and the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).
Ilocos Region receives the largest amount of aid amounting to more than P72 million that benefitted over 7,300 victims. CAR which hosts Abra, the epicenter of the quake – received over P55 million to support 9,190 tremor victims.
Over P200,000 in aid of assistance was also given to Cagayan Valley with 36 beneficiaries. (Jun Marcos Tadios)