Puffer fish for breakfast kills woman, sends husband, 6 kids to hospital in Cebu

Published August 4, 2022, 1:22 PM

by Calvin Cordova 

CEBU CITY – A 56-year-old woman died while her husband and their six children were hospitalized after eating poisonous puffer fish – locally known as “buriring” – for breakfast in Caubian Island, Lapu-Lapu City, Wednesday, August 3.

Police identified the fatality as Romana Abas Evardo. Her 57-year-old husband, Reynaldo, and their six children aged 32, 30, 28, nine, five, and four were hospitalized.

According to Police Staff Sgt. Aaron Guevara, investigator of the Lapu-Lapu Police Station based in Olanggo Island, Reynaldo, a fisherman, arrived home with puffer fish.

The couple cooked the fish and the family consumed it for breakfast. Moments after breakfast, the victims complained of dizziness and fell ill.

The victims were taken to the Sta. Rosa Community Hospital where Romana eventually died.

Police suspect that the Romanas were poisoned because the fish was improperly cooked.

Authorities warned that certain puffer fish can be eaten but it must be properly cooked and that it has a poisonous organ that must be removed for it to be safely consumed.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","visayas","news"]
[3055688,3060397,3060373,3060353,3060349,3060335,3060358]