AFP Chief Centino remains in post as Marcos 'adheres to law', says Palace

Published July 6, 2022, 5:22 PM

by Betheena Unite

General Andres Centino will remain as the chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) under the new administration as stated in the law, the Malacañang said.

President Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos Jr. and AFP Chief Gen. Andres Centino (Photo courtesy of the AFP)

Centino was appointed by former President Duterte as the AFP chief in November 2021 and was confirmed by the Commission on Appointments in January 2022. With this, he is not covered by the Republic Act 11709 signed by Duterte in May 2022 which grants a three-year fixed term for key AFP officials, including the chief of staff.

He is expected to serve as the military chief until he reaches the mandatory retirement age of 56 in February 2023.

This means that he will only be replaced after his retirement despite the transition to the administration of President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.

Communications Secretary Trixie Cruz-Angeles said this in a press briefing in Malacañang on Wednesday, July 6, that Marcos will abide by the law.

“This is a law right and it has been passed. So the President adheres to the law. Whatever is stated in the law. If his term has been during the time of the effectivity of the law then the President will abide by that,” Angeles stressed.

Asked if the President has someone in mind to replace Centino by the time he retires, the Press Secretary “it’s way too far right now” to name someone as his successor, who will be then covered by the three-year fixed term.

Centino replaced General Jose Faustino whose mandatory retirement age of 56 was on Nov. 12 last year. Centino is the 57th AFP chief of staff and the 11th under the previous administration.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[3034493,3066053,3066043,3066014,3066008,3066011,3066000]