The Department of Health (DOH) is looking at whether a second booster shot of Covid-19 vaccines is needed for people aged 50 to 59 years old.
“Pinag-uusapan na po…Actually, we started our discussions with our experts last week pa po, kung saan iyong iba’t ibang sektor na puwede nating maisama ay pinag-aaralan na po. Tinitingnan na natin ang evidences (That is being discussed… Actually, we started our discussions with our experts since last week on which sectors can be added. We are already looking at the evidence),” said DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire on Saturday, June 25.
“We are also looking at 50 years old to 59 years old na baka sakali ay makasama na rin, pati na rin nga po iyong sinasabi ni doktora Nina Gloriani na mga immunocompromised frontliners (We are also looking if we could include those 50 to 59 years old as well as the suggestion of Dr. Nina Gloriani to include immunocompromised frontliners),” she added.
This proposal will be presented to the members of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) on Monday, June 27, said Vergeire.
“We will be presenting to the IATF on Monday and kung saka-sakaling magkaroon po ng approval iyan galing sa ating officials (and if this will be approved by our officials), then we will be processing and facilitating this with FDA [Food and Drug Administration] and our HTAC [Health Technology Assessment Council],” she added.
The FDA should amend the emergency use authorization of Covid-19 vaccines if this policy will be approved, said Vergeire.
Based on current protocols, only senior citizens, health workers, and immunocompromised adults are allowed to receive a second Covid-19 vaccine booster shot.