The security preparation of the Philippine National Police (PNP) is "in full swing" for the inauguration of President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. in Manila on June 30.
Coordination was made by the PNP to the transition team of the incoming administration to ensure that the inauguration will be “smooth” amid the looming protests and recent bomb attacks in Mindanao.
“Nagstart na po tayo makipagpulong sa concerned agencies particularly ‘yong transition team ng papasok na administrasyon at nagkaroon ng ocular inspection kahapon (We already started meeting with concerned agencies particularly the transition team of the incoming administration and there had been an ocular inspection yesterday ),” said Col. Jean Fajardo, PNP spokesperson, in a “Laging Handa” press briefing on Friday, June 3.
Marcos Jr.’ camp announced that his inauguration will be held at the National Museum in Manila.
Fajardo said the PNP created Security Task Group Manila to handle all the security preparations for Marcos Jr.’s oath-taking. Meanwhile, Security Task Group Davao will take care of the preparations for Vice President-elect Sara Duterte-Carpio’s inauguration in Davao on June 19.
Fajardo failed to disclose the number of police personnel that will be deployed on the ground for the inauguration of the top two highest elected officials in the country this month.
However, she mentioned that there was a continuous coordination between the intelligence units of the PNP, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), and other related agencies to ensure that the two events will be held safely and peacefully.
"The PNP is in full swing as far as preparation is concerned," added Police Brig. Gen. Augustis Roderick Alba, chief of PNP public information office.
The PNP is anticipating the conduct of street protests during Marcos Jr. and Duterte’s inauguration, according to Fajardo.
“Sa mga kababayan natin, inirerespeto natin ang karapatan nila na magpahayag ng kanilang mga damdamin subalit dapat ay nasa within the bounds of the law at nasa proper forum nila gawin ‘yong kanilang pagpoprotesta (To our fellow citizens, we respet your right to voice your concerns but make sure that it is within the bounds of the law and you are in a proper forum when you conduct your potests),” Fajardo said.
Moreover, Fajardo said the PNP has not monitored any security threat related to Marcos Jr. and Duterte’s inauguration despite the recent explosions in Isabela City in Basilan, and Sultan Kudarat.
“Nonetheless, we are not complacent and we continuously conduct intelligence monitoring and gathering to ensure that we would not be caught off guard by any eventuality that could disrupt the inauguration of the top two officials of our country,” she said.