NCRPO says help given to family of Muntinlupa policeman who died after 3-day election duty

Published May 19, 2022, 10:47 AM

by Jonathan Hicap

The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said cash assistance was already given to the family of a Muntinlupa policeman who died on May 10 after going on duty for three days straight during the election.

Master Sergeant Manuel Escalona, a member of the Special Weapon and Tactics (SWAT) team at the Muntinlupa police, died of a heart attack on May 10. He was 42.

M/Sgt. Manuel Escalona of the Muntinlupa police died on May 10 of a heart attack. (Photos from Muntinlupa police, Rep. Ruffy Biazon’s Facebook page)

Escalona was riding a motorcycle and was on his way to assume night duty at the Muntinlupa police when he had a heart attack at about 7:45 p.m. along Daang Hari road in Imus, Cavite He was brought to the South Imus Specialist Hospital in Imus City but was declared dead on arrival by attending physician Dr. Jesus Madlangbayan.

NCRPO chief Major Gen. Felipe Natividad condoled with the family of Escalona. He directed Muntinlupa police’s acting chief Col. Angel Garcillano to visit the family and extend assistance including for the welfare of his orphaned kids.

According to the NCRPO, cash assistance was given to Escalona’s family, which came from the Kaagapay Association Incorporated Mutual Fund (KAIMF), a non-profit cooperative of personnel under the Southern Police District (SPD).

SPD director Brig Gen. Jimili Macaraeg said a survivor officer has been designated to process the claims of Escalona.

“Team NCRPO mourns the loss of our comrade and affords him a boundless homage for avidly choosing to perform his sworn duty during the election despite not feeling well,” said Natividad.

He said despite the full alert status covering the police during the election, the NCRPO prohibits anyone from working beyond his hours of duty or without any rest.

“Sa kabila ng pagdeklara ng ‘Full Alert’ status ng nakaraang eleksiyon, ang NCRPO ay hindi pinapayagan na magtrabaho ang sinuman sa kanyang tauhan na magtrabaho ng lagpas sa oras o magtrabaho ng walang sapat na pahinga kaya nga meron tayong mga reserve forces. Sinusiguro natin na ang kapakanan ng ating mga tauhan ang una sa lahat,” (Despite the ‘Full Alert’ status last elections, the NCRPO does not allow anyone to work beyond the hours of duty or work without enough rest, that is why we have reserve forces. We ensure that the welfare of all our personnel comes first),” said Natividad.

Muntinlupa mayor-elect and outgoing Rep. Ruffy Biazon visited Escalona’s wake.

“Namatay si Manuel dahil pumutok ang ugat sa kanyang puso. Matapos ang kanyang 3-day duty sa halalan, nakapagpahinga lang siya ng konti at nagpatuloy sa normal na gawain. Nagmamaneho siya ng motorsiklo niya nang atakihin, bumagsak at binawian ng buhay. (Manuel died because the vein in his heart burst. After his three-day duty during the election, he briefly took a break and resumed his normal activities. He was driving a motorcycle when he had an attack, he fell down and died),” Biazon said in a Facebook post.

Escalona’s wife, according to Biazon, said Manuel had high blood pressure and diabetes.

“Marahil dahil sa stress dulot ng straight duty na tatlong araw kasabay ng hindi masyadong naasikasong kalusugan ang naging sanhi ng pagbigay ng ugat ng kanyang puso. Bata pa siya, 42 years old lang (Perhaps because of the stress due to his straight duty for three days in addition to his not being able to take care of his health caused the vein in his heart to give out. He was young, only 42 years old),” said Biazon.

Escalona was brought to his home province of Ilocos Sur. According to Biazon, Escalona served for more than 20 years as a police officer in Muntinlupa.

Garcillano paid tribute to Escalona, saying, “The whole Muntinlupa City Police Station is deeply saddened by our sudden loss of a very competent and good-hearted personnel. His dedication to duty is something that his colleagues and superiors will always remember him by. He served the PNP and the Filipino people well.”

He added, “Our office will be assisting in the facilitation of his claims. Support and assistance from our Regional Director Maj. Gen. Felipe R. Natividad, District Director Brig. Gen. Jimili L. Macaraeg and other officers including yours truly, were extended to the bereaved family and they were likewise assured that our aid will still be available even if the remains of Sgt Escalona is already transferred to Ilocos Sur.”