Two more people were added in the list of cockfighting players (sabungero) who were gone missing in Metro Manila and nearby provinces.
Police Maj. Gen. Albert Ignatius Ferro, director of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG), said the two were reported missing in May last year but were included in the victim’s list since the nature of their disappearance was similar to the 29 other cases they are now handling.
So far, a total o 31 cockfighting players are now on the missing list of CIDG.
The first case that was reported to the CIDG was the case of six players who were reportedly kidnapped at the Manila Arena last month.
Twenty-three more payers from Batangas, Laguna and Rizal went missing since then.
In the case of the two additional players, Ferro said they were among the group of players who went to Sta. Cruz, Laguna for a cockfighting event on May 11 last year.
While on their way home the following day, another group of players asked them to borrow their gaffet (mananari), identified only as Nerio, and a certain Buddy, to assist them in the game. The two were not able to go home since then.
Ferro said they are currently coordinating with various banks after they learned of the unauthorized withdrawals on the accounts of the missing cockfighting players.
“Continuous and close coordination with different banks are being done by the Task Group where there are reported ATM cash withdrawals made by unidentified persons using the victims’ bank accounts,” said Ferro.
CIDG investigators are expected to attend the Senate hearing on the missing cockfighting players on Thursday, Feb. 24.