The surge driven by the Omicron variant of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is unlikely to reoccur in Metro Manila, but provinces outside the region should brace for the rise in infections, the OCTA Research group warned on Thursday, Jan. 27.
In an interview over One News’ The Chiefs, molecular biologist and OCTA fellow Fr. Nicanor Austriaco said that it is unlikely for Omicron to return to Metro Manila and cause a surge.
“It’s unlikely that Omicron will return to the capital to initiate a surge. There’s no more wood to burn. With regards to the provinces, there is a concern and it’s going to be region by region, depending upon the level of vaccination and the health capacity how the impact of the Omicron surge will be on our kababayans there... I still pray for those other regions. It’s still going to be challenging for some,” said Austriaco.
During the same interview, OCTA fellow Dr. Guido David assured the public that the trend of COVID-19 in Metro Manila is decreasing continuously.
“ trend is really downward, we can be assured... We’re now down to high risk and I think within a few days by next week we’ll be down to moderate risk. In fact, I checked some of the local government data, we already have five local government units (LGUs) under moderate risk and that’s a good sign,” said David.
According to David, the LGUs under moderate risk classification include Manila, Malabon, Caloocan, Valenzuela, and Navotas.
Meanwhile, David warned that provinces outside the National Capital Region (NCR) Plus may see an increasing number of infections.
“It’s going to be still increasing in some provinces outside NCR Plus. In NCR Plus it’s already decreasing, even in Cavite, Rizal, and Bulacan we’re starting to see a decrease, but it’s still high in many other parts of the country,” he said.
The group of experts previously stated that based on their projections, the NCR may be classified as low risk by Feb. 14.
“The rest of the country will have to follow the surge started later in the other parts of the country,” he added.