New 'emir' of Daulah Islamiya, 4 others die in Maguindanao clash — military

Published December 3, 2021, 3:27 PM

by Martin Sadongdong

The newly appointed emir or commander of the Islamic State (IS)-linked Daulah Islamiya (DI) group has been killed in an armed clash with the military in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, a ranking general revealed on Friday, Dec. 3.

Asim Karinda alias Abu Azim, a highly trained improvised explosive device (IED) fabricator and bombmaker, was “neutralized” by troops belonging to the Joint Task Force (JTF) Central in an early morning firefight last Thursday.

Asim Karinda alias Abu Azim, newly appointed emir of Daulah Islamiya. (Photo: Joint Task Force Central)

Also killed were four of Karinda’s alleged followers identified as Fahad Salipada alias Naz, known as the close-in security of ex-DI emir Salahudin Hassan; Hamsallah Ganoy Salangani; Salah Salipada; and one alias Tatoks.

Karinda had replaced Hassan as the DI emir after the latter was also killed by the Philippine Army’s 6th Infantry Division (6ID) in an encounter in Talayan, Maguindanao last October.

Major Gen. Juvymax Uy, commander of JTF Central and 6ID, said the troops were engaged by Karinda’s group while conducting internal security operations in Barangay Dabenayan around 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 2.

The troops held their ground and exchanged bullets with the enemies for one hour before Karinda’s group was forced to retreat.

During the clearing operations, the troops found the remains of the five DI members, and later identified them through the help of former terrorists who surrendered to the military.

(Photo: Joint Task Force Central)

(Photo: Joint Task Force Central)

(Photo: Joint Task Force Central)

“The recent armed clash with the Daulah Islamiya terrorist group only shows that your security forces are persistent and committed to ensure the safety of our communities and of the Filipino people,” Uy said.

Meanwhile, no military personnel was wounded or killed in the encounter, the military commander noted.

Uy said that the remains of the five DI members were turned-over to local government officials for the conduct of a proper burial.