ILOILO CITY — The Department of Tourism is expecting a spike of visitors at world-famous Boracay Island with the removal of the requirement of swab tests for all domestic tourists who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 starting November 16.
“We hope to see even more visitors for this month and December,” said DOT-6 Regional Director Cristine Mansinares in a statement.
This was following the November 11 announcement of Aklan Governor Florencio Miraflores that the country’s most famous beach destination in Malay town will be opened to the rest of domestic tourists who are vaccinated.
But it was actually last week of October when fully vaccinated tourists who are residents of Panay Island were able to enter Boracay without undergoing the required swab tests.
The tourists from Capiz, Guimaras and Iloilo provinces as well as the regional capital of Iloilo City were just required to show vaccination certificates that authenticate they’re fully vaccinated.
Based on DOT-6 data, Boracay experienced a dramatic increase of tourist arrivals for the past two months. There were 32,452 visitors for the month of October.
With this development, Mansinares assured that the DOT is closely working with the national government’s task force on COVID-19 and the different government agencies in making sure that minimum health protocols will be implemented.
Meanwhile, Mayor Frolibar Bautista said the local government of Malay is ready with the influx of more domestic tourists by November 16.