The petition seeking the cancellation of the certificate of candidacy of presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has been raffled to the Commission on Elections (Comelec) Second Division.
Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez revealed this on Tuesday, Nov. 9.
“The case has been raffled to the 2nd Division,” he said in a statement.
“Owing to the large number of cases on the docket, no summons for this particular case has been issued yet, but is expected within the week,” added Jimenez.
Last week, several groups and personalities submitted a petition with the poll body seeking to cancel or deny the COC of the former senator over supposed “false material representation” stemming from a 1995 tax case.
Kapatid, one of the petitioners, meantime, expressed hope that the poll body will resolve the case with utmost dispatch.
“We pray to the Lord almighty that the Comelec will now proceed with utmost dispatch to resolve our petition because our future hangs in the balance. Our petition is plain and simple. Bongbong Marcos declared under oath that he has never been found liable for any offense that carries the penalty of perpetual disqualification from public office when in fact he had been convicted for repeated tax evasion by the courts,” Fides Lim, Kapatid spokesperson, said in a statement.
“This is a matter of fact and the law is clear. The Comelec must exercise its mandated duty to cancel the certificate of candidacy of a disqualified individual running for office based on a final conviction,” she added.