The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) will recommend to the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) the scrapping of mandatory use of face shields in the National Capital Region following mutual agreement among Metro mayors.
MMDA Chairman Benhur Abalos said Monday, Nov. 8, that the use of face shields will no longer be required except for “critical places,” once approved by the government’s pandemic task force.
Critical areas, according to Abalos, are the hospitals, barangay health centers and public transportation.
“Ang napag-usapan namin sa faceshield number 1, ito yung isusugest ko sa IATF, na tanggalin na ho ang face shield hindi na gawing mandatory except for critical places (What we discussed about the faceshield was that the lifting of its mandatory use except for critical places. I would suggest that to the IATF),” Abalos said in a DZBB interview when asked about what was Metro mayors’ say on removing the use of face shields.
Abalos said he will make the recommendation in the next IATF meeting, which will happen on Thursday. If given a green light, the use of face shields will no longer be necessary in malls, Abalos added.
Last week, Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Usec. Jonathan Malaya disclosed that DILG Sec. Año will be proposing to the IATF the lifting of the same policy as Metro Manila already deescalated to Alert Level 2 status.
Earlier Monday, Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso signed Executive Order No. 42 declaring the use of face shields as non-mandatory except in hospital settings, medical clinics, and other medical facilities.
“Sinusuportahan po namin yung posisyon ni Secretary (Eduardo) Año tungkol dito (We support Secretary Año’s position about this),” the MMDA chief said.