Thousands of dynamites said to be used in a planned bombing of patrolling troops and government facilities were seized by the elements of the Army’s 8 Infantry (Dependable) Battalion (8th IB) in Malinao area, Barangay Kalusangay, Malaybalay City, Bukidnon province.
Public Affairs Office (PAO) chief of the Army’s 4th Infantry (Diamond) Division (4thID) Maj. Francisco P. Garello, Jr. told The Manila Bulletin on Monday that 1,076 pieces of 22mm x 189 grams dynamites and anti-personnel mine (APM) were seized by the joint elements of the 8th IB, Bukidnon Provincial Intelligence Unit, Bukidnon Provincial Explosive Ordnance Disposal and Canine last week (Oct. 8), after the revelation of the surrendered Communist New People’s Army Terrorist (CNT).
“This bulk of bomb materials were found after certain ‘Ka Gaspar,’ 47 (Name withheld for his safety) surrendered to the field troops in Bukidnon,” the 4th ID PAO chief said.
Ka Gaspar is said to be a former squad leader of Sentro De Gravidad (SDG) Dario, Guerilla Front 89, Sub-Regional Committee 2 (SRC2) of the CPP-NPA North Central Mindanao Regional Committee (NCMRC).
Maj. Garello said ka Gaspar revelead the authorities the dynamites were intended to be used by the CNTs to wound and kill the soldiers operating in the mountains of Bukidnon.
But Gaspar, as told by Garello, decided to divulge the location dynamites as he does not want to harm the soldiers and civilians.
Meanwhile, according 8th IB commanding officer Lt. Col. Edgardo Talaroc, Jr. said the government is set to file charges against the CPP-NPA-NDF in the area, following the discovery of the explosives.
“They (CNTs) have violated the Ottawa Convention, which prohibits the use, stockpiling, production and transfer of anti-personnel mines.”
The said dynamites were turned over to Bukidnon Provincial Explosive Ordnance Disposal and Canine for proper disposition.