San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora said on Thursday that the local government is all set for the COVID-19 vaccination of minors, aged 12 to 17.
“(There is) not really (any problem). We launched our online vaccine registration (for individuals aged 12-17) last week and in about seven days, we already have around 3,000 registrants. So it is no different from our previous inoculations, except that we are now focusing on a younger age group and I have seen the eagerness of parents to register them,” Zamora said in an interview with CNN Philippines.
“In fact, we are preparing already. We are saving all our Moderna and Pfizer vaccines because only these two have been given the EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) for the age group 12-17,” he added.
Zamora said residents of San Juan remain the top priority of the local government in its COVID-19 vaccination.
“In our announcement, we have to first focus on San Juaneño children and that is understandable because we have to complete first the age group of 12 to 17 of those living in our city and if we still have enough vaccine supply, then we can always open up again,” Zamora said.
The mayor expressed hope that the number of minors who will register for the vaccination program will continue to increase in the coming days.
“Nakikita kong tataas pa ang bilang na ito sa mga darating na araw. Pag sila ay mabigyan ng protection, malaking bagay iyan. Ang ating kabataan, bagamat di nga sila nakakalabas ng tahanan, ang mga magulang ay lumalabas at nagtatrabaho (I can see that the number will continue to rise in the coming days. If they will be given protection, it will be a big help. Despite not being able to leave their homes, their parents go out to work (which can increase their risk of contracting the virus),” Zamora said.