Why Julian was released and why autopsy on Bree was 'delayed'

Published September 22, 2021, 10:34 AM

by Aaron Recuenco 

Amid allegations of special treatment on billionaire’s son Julian Ongpin on the case of his reported girlfriend Breana “Bree” Jonson, the Philippine National Police (PNP) vowed on Wednesday, Sept. 22, of an impartial investigation on the case.

Police officials also answered two questions that were raised by the netizens in claiming that justice is leaning in favor of Julian, son of billionaire and former trade and industry minister Bobby Ongpin.

On the issue on why Ongpin was released despite being caught with 12.6 grams of cocaine, Police Regional Office 1 Brig. Gen. Emmanuel Peralta said that it was the La Union Provincial Prosecutor’s Office which ordered the release of Ongpin.


Based on Republic Act 9165, possession of more than 10 grams of illegal drugs is already a non-bailable offense.

Peralta said they filed the case after personnel of the Sa Juan Municipal Police Station found the cocaine and when Julian tested positive during the drug test.

The case was filed on Monday morning and at around 1 p.m. the La Union Provincial Prosecutor’s Office issued a resolution directing the PNP to release Ongpin.

“That is beyond our control. We have to respect the decision of the Prosecutor,” said Peralta in an interview over ANC Headstart.

“The case is not proper for inquest proceedings. The apprehension of the respondent does not fall under any of the instances where warrantless arrest is allowed,” the decision of the Prosecutor’s Office read, as revealed by Peralta.

The Provincial Prosecutor, according to Justice Undersecretary Emmeline Aglipay- Villar, deemed it proper to conduct regular preliminary investigation to give the PNP more time to present additional pieces of evidence to prove the case against Ongpin.


But despite the release order, Peralta said Ongpin has been cooperating in the investigation.

In fact, he said Ongpin appeared before the investigators when he was summoned again for additional questions on the case.

The official said that Ongpin also cooperated when investigators asked him to check on his body for any markings or wounds.

Why the delay on autopsy?

On Tuesday, the PNP was also criticized for the delay in the conduct of the autopsy.


Bur police sources said there was not really a delay and that the reason why the autopsy was only done on Monday was that they have to wait for the decision of the parents of Jonson.

Police sources said the father of Jonson initially wanted to have the National Bureau of Investigation handle the autopsy but was later convinced to have the PNP perform it.

The cadaver was first taken to the Ilocos Training and Regional Medical Center and have to be transferred to the police regional office since the hospital management would not allow autopsy in their facility as part of the PNP protocol.

The autopsy started almost 7 p.m. on Monday and was done by 10 a.m the following day.

The PNP is still waiting for the official result of the autopsy result although the initial result revealed that Bree died of asphyxia and tested positive for cocaine use.