COVID-19 outbreak hits another QC convent; 22 individuals infected

Published September 15, 2021, 10:40 PM

by Allysa Nievera

At least 22 persons have tested positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) at the Convent of the Holy Spirit in Barangay Immaculate Conception, Quezon City.

According to the city government, the religious institution has 90 residents.

Of the positive cases, 13 are nuns and nine are staff including the index case or the first documented case in the institution. 

Fourteen infected individuals are fully vaccinated and the others have yet to receive their COVID-19 jabs. 

Dr. Rolando Cruz, Quezon City Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (CESU) chief, said 46 individuals were swabbed last Sept. 10 while the rest refused to be tested that time. 

“Per our agreement with them, they will take care of the testing of the remaining 44 individuals and they will send us the results as soon as they come out,” said Cruz. 

Swab results of the 46 showed that 25 have tested negative, while 22 were found positive for the virus, including the index case.


Cruz said the index case is a physical therapist who was reportedly exposed to a nun who succumbed to the virus earlier this month. 

The majority of infected nuns are between 80-101 years old. 

Doctors from St. Luke’s Medical Center are monitoring the patients who are being attended to by caregivers.

The convent is now under special concern lockdown. 

Earlier, the city government also reported a COVID-19 outbreak at Religious of the Virgin Mary convent affecting 114 nuns and staff.

Read more: 114 nuns, staff of QC convent test positive for COVID-19

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["metro","news","news"]
[2813535,2814431,2814408,2814399,2814415,2814412,2814388]