51 NCR barangays under granular lockdown ahead of pilot testing on Sept. 8

Published September 6, 2021, 12:53 PM

by Aaron Recuenco 

A total of 51 barangays in Metro Manila are currently under granular lockdown ahead of the pilot testing for this quarantine measure intended to strike a balance between rebooting the economy and implementing measures to contain the continuous rise of coronavirus cases (COVID-19) cases in the country.

Most of these barangays are in Quezon City with 37, seven in areas under the Northern Police District, six in areas under the Southern Police District and one in the Eastern Police District.

file photo: Ali Vicoy

Secretary of the Interior and Local Government (SILG) Eduardo Año said on Sunday, Sept. 5, that the pilot testing of granular lockdown will start on Sept. 8. After that, it will be assessed, and a recommendation will then be delivered to President Duterte.

Trade and Industry Secretary Ramon Lopez has said the granular lockdown will be better for the economy as it will allow more establishments and businesses to operate amid the threat of COVID-19 pandemic.

Eleazar said that he had already instructed police commanders in Metro Manila to coordinate with their respective local government units (LGUs) regarding the enforcement of granular lockdown, the move is to ensure that the granular lockdown would be properly implemented.

The Chief PNP said that even before the announcement of the granular lockdown, he had already directed Metro Manila police commanders to prepare for its possible implementation.

“We support this measure because this granular lockdown will serve as the balance between further improving our economy while containing the spread of the virus.

The Philippines has more than two million COVID-19 cases since last year. In the past three days, the country has consistently recorded more than 20,000 cases and experts said it could reach 30,000 cases daily before the end of September.

“I urge the public to cooperate with measures and regulations that the government is imposing to stop the surge in COVID-19 cases. Kung hindi man para sa ating sarili ay sumunod tayo sa mga public health safety at quarantine protocols para sa kaligtasan at kalusugan ng ating mga mahal sa buhay,” said Eleazar.

The National Capital Region is under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) until September 7. The national government ensured that it would support LGUs in giving food assistance to residents that will be affected by the granular lockdown.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2805368,2882456,2882400,2882396,2882388,2882384,2882367]