DAVAO CITY – A 60-year-old bridge in Digos City, Davao del Sur which was scheduled for demolition after it was damaged by previous earthquakes collapsed around 12 noon on Saturday that killed one person and injured another, who were both workers of the project’s contractor TSK Builders and Supply.
Dean Ortiz, Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)-Davao Public Affairs and Information Officer, said on Sunday that the two-lane Ebreo Bridge, which was constructed in the 1960’s, gave two days before its scheduled demolition on Monday to give way for the construction of a three-way lane bridge that would replace it.
He said the bridge had been closed to vehicles since May this year.
He said there was ongoing excavation by the contractor “at Abutment A of the existing old bridge” in preparation for the bored filing at the project site when the bridge collapsed.
In a report by DXDC RMN Davao, the Digos City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) identified the casualty as Joyco Failma, 30, of Upper Panuntungan, Davao City, and the injured as Dexter Orapa, 37, of Santo Rosario, Digos City.