The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Monday confirmed that two more Filipinos were able to leave Afghanistan amid the increasing tension due to the recent deadly suicide bombing and the spate of rockets fired towards the Kabul airport.
In a report, the DFA said the two Filipino nationals are now in Doha, Qatar.
This brings the total number of Filipinos who have already left Afghanistan since the Taliban took over the capital to 187.
The DFA said the Philippine Embassy in Islamabad has also recently monitored the presence of two other Filipinos in Afghanistan, bringing the total number of Filipinos in that country prior to the evacuation from 209 to 211.
The Department puts the latest estimate of remaining Filipinos in Afghanistan to 24. Eight of those are intending to join the Philippine government’s repatriation efforts.
Meanwhile, the Philippines strongly condemned the latest terrorist attacks and continued threats in Afghanistan following the suicide bombing last week that left more than 200 people dead.
“We express our sincere condolences to the families’ victims and our fervent hope for the swift recovery of those who were injured,” the DFA said in a statement.