NCCP to Duque: Resign

Published August 17, 2021, 5:25 PM

by Leslie Ann Aquino

The National Council of Churches in the Philippines (NCCP) said Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Francisco Duque III should heed the growing clamor for his resignation saying the Filipino people deserve better.

NCCP

In a statement on Tuesday, Aug. 17, the NCCP said such call is “just and called for” even saying that much like some news reports about various vaccines against the Delta variant, Duque has also “lost efficacy to handle this pandemic.”

“Sec. Duque has been weighed and found wanting, he should heed the call for resignation. The Filipino people deserve better,” it added.

The NCCP issued the call after the Commission on Audit (COA) flagged the DOH’s usage of the P67.323-billion fund intended for the government’s COVID-19 response last year.

“The COA said that such deficiencies had undermined the timely and efficient response for the COVID-19 pandemic, which many of our people continue to suffer from,” it said.

“To say that the Health Secretary is inept and incompetent is an understatement,” added NCCP.

The group also recalled how Duque in the past made light of the threat of COVID-19 and refused to call for a closure of the country’s borders even when various sectors were imploring on him to do so.

It also cited the separate audit report on P95.15 million worth of expired and near expired or unused medicines and medical supplies and the issue of the stolen 15 billion funds of Philhealth among others.

“This is the ninth time that Sec. Duque has shown his ham-fisted approach to this truly life and death situation,” NCCP said.

“It is a sin when a government continues to withhold from people the much-needed help and support, especially in this time of a global health crisis,”added the group.

Healthcare workers earlier also called or the resignation of Duque.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2789917,2845744,2845730,2845727,2845716,2845710,2845713]